A curry from Goa in which cooking time is everything...
Cooking time 55 mins | Serves 2-3
4 tbsp oil
1 cup dessicated coconut
1tsp chilli flakes
10g sea arrowgrass
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp charlock seeds
1/3 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 bay leaf
Pinch mace (optional)
350g mixed vegetables
1 tsp lime/juice
25g Charlock stems (chopped into cms)
60g Alexanders (leaves and stems chopped)
40g sea radish chopped
50g Watercress separate stems & leaves
1. Chop 1 onion finely, slice the other.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in pan, add coconut, saute for 5 mins then set side in bowl.
3. Add chilli flakes to pan.
4. After 3 mins add cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon. Stir for 2-3 mins.
5. Add to sauteed coconut.
6. In blender puree the coconut, roasted spices and sliced onion adding 1/2 cup of water.
7. Heat remaining oil and brown chicken (if using) then remove.
8. Add charlock seeds, cumin seeds and turmeric.
9. After a minute add cinnamon , bay leaf and chopped onion and fry for 25 mins or until onion is browned.
10. Add spice mix and mace (optional) and fry for 10-12 mins.
11. Pour in 2 cups water and salt to taste and mix well.
12. Now add vegetables in order of their cooking time (the wild will need just 5 minutes with leaves added at very end!)
13. Add chicken back to pan, heat through gently but thoroughly. Add now the leaves, lime juice and season to taste.