300g white basmati rice
Pinch of Salt
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
3 cardamom pods, crushed
1 stick of cinnamon
2 strips of lemon zest
5 whole pink peppercorns
½ tsp turmeric powder
Rose petals & Violet leaves
1. Rinse the rice thoroughly and tip into a large saucepan of boiling, salted water. Stir, bring back to the boil, and cook for 7 minutes.
2. Drain, shake well and season to taste.
3. Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a clean heavy based pan over a medium heat.
4. Add the whole spices and lemon zest. Cook for a minute.
5. Add 2 tbsp water and a layer of rice. Heap the rest on top in layers, making sure not to push it down.
6. Make 5 air holes in the surface with the handle of a wooden spoon, wrap a lid of the pan in a clean tea towel and cover. Cook over a very low heat for 30 minutes.
7. Have 5cm of cold water ready in the sink. When the rice is done, plunge the pan into the water and leave for a minute, then turn the pilaf on to a platter.
8. Scatter the rose petals and violet leaves over the top, and serve alongside a curry or tagine.