2 shallots, finely chopped
2tbsp sunflower oil
1tbsp finely chopped root ginger
Spices: 1/2 tsp ground turmeric, 1tsp ground coriander, 1tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes, 1 tsp garam masala, 4 green cardamom pods, lightly crushed
250g red lentils
400g cherry tomatoes
400ml coconut milk
550g sweet potato, peeled & cut into 2cm chunks
50g sea beet, washed
20g three cornered garlic, washed & chopped into 1cm lengths
2tbsp lemon juice
1. Saute the shallots in the oil in a large saucepan set over a medium-low heat until soft but not coloured.
2. Add ginger and turmeric. Stir for 1-2 mins then add remaining spices and cook for a further 1 minute.
3. Add the lentils, cherry tomatoes, coconut milk and 800ml water; season. Bring to the boil, stir well and partially cover.
4. Simmer for 10 mins then stir in the sweet potato, partially cover and simmer for 35-40 minutes and stir at intervals.
5. Uncover and season if needed. Stir in the sea beet and cook until softened.
6. Finish with lemon juice and stir in half of the three cornered garlic and then sprinkle the remaining onto the top.