50g dog rosehips
3 apples, Braeburn/Cox, pealed, cored & roughly diced
50g light brown unrefined sugar
1 shallot, finely diced
20g Alexander stalks, finely sliced
120ml apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp Alexander seeds
1 tsp Hogweed seeds
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
Chilli powder, a pinch
1. Cover the diced apple and rose hips in water in a saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook to soften the fruit completely - around 30 minutes.
2. Push the fruit through a fine sieve into a pan and add all the other ingredients.
3. Bring back to a simmer and cook on low heat for around 1 hour.
4. Add the mixture to a blender and blend on high for 1 minute.
5. You can either pass it again through a fine sieve or use as is; either straight away, or for best results place in a sealed bottle or jar and reserve for a week to allow the flavours to marry.