1 satsuma/clementine (finely grated rind)
100g ground almonds
3 eggs lightly beaten
175g butter, softened
150g soft brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Handful of cranberries
50g crab apples
Small tub whipping cream
100g acorns, roasted with shells on, peeled and ground.
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
2. First you will roast both the crab apples and acorns at the same time. To roast the acorns place on a baking tray and place in oven at 170 celsius for 15 minutes having given them a toss around a couple times during that time to ensure even roasting. Do the same with the crab apples but drizzle with a little oil and a dessertspoon of the sugar.
3. Once cool shell and grind the acorns (this will yield about 75g acorn flour).
4. Push the roasted crab apples through a sieve catching all that incredible rose pink paste!
5. Mix together all the dry ingredients, with the satsuma rind.
6. Add in all other ingredients (except the crab apple paste) and mix together to create a thick paste.
7. Spread the paste evenly in a buttered cake tin (20cm diameter).
8. Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Whip the cream with a dessert spoon of soft brown sugar. Once whipped gently fold through the crab apple paste and top the cake.